What advice do you have for African American students wanting to study abroad?

Home Forums African American Abroad What advice do you have for African American students wanting to study abroad?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

As cities in the United States celebrate Juneteenth and African American heritage, what piece of advice do you have for members of the Afro-American community wanting to go abroad?

photo credit: vhines200 drummers, San Francisco Juneteenth 2017 via photopin (license)

#3102 Reply
    Holly Silvestri

I am not sure what advice I would have that would be different for African Americans except for understanding that there is latent racism everywhere and that they should not expect Europe or South America to be any different. I would do my research as to the role of race in the society I was entering and see if there were forums I could join to get some honest answers. I would also say that they might want to be aware that they might be stereotyped as Africans rather than Americans and that also has implications depending on the society.

#3127 Reply
    Cleo Barker

As with any travel plans, prior research is key to being aware of potential issues before going abroad. I would just say to be aware of the history of the country you are visiting and the role of race and racism in that country’s culture. Travel is a great way to learn more about the world, and having some prior knowledge about a country will make it easier to navigate.

#3128 Reply

Some basic preliminary research before deciding to go abroad might be helpful. Understanding another country’s culture and investigating any potential issues there could make the difference between a good experience and a bad one.

#3130 Reply
    Marie Terrier

You always need to search for info and ask people how African Americans (or any other origin) is treated in a country. Racism still exists, in some countries it is even dangerous for African Americans to go to. No need to become paranoid, some countries accept it without a problem and most of them just don’t care if you are Black, White or Blue as long as you try to fit in their society and accept their culture. Respect works on both side: if you respect the people of the country you go to, they will respect you and vice versa.

#3133 Reply
    Evan Albrethsen

If possible, ask other people about their experiences in the target country. Those type of opportunities may be few, but having somebody with first hand experience is always a great option. An attribute that would be very helpful is patience. It is important to know that a lot reasons people do the things they do is because the culture they were raised in is all they know. Being forgiving and avoiding escalating a situation is important.

#3137 Reply
    Sasha

Unfortunately, racism still exists. It would be wise to research the country’s views on people of different races. With that in my mind, it would be best to remain cautious if the country you are visiting has racist tendencies. As with any travel experience, the best method is to be respectful the country’s customs while there to avoid any trouble.

#3139 Reply
    Libby You

When travelling it’s important to do your research beforehand. I think you need to understand and prepare yourself for what kind of country and situations you may be putting yourself in. Also, being understanding will also help you with your travels. Even though racism unfortunately still exists, sometimes it is unintentional and comes from a lack of understanding and exposure. At times like this, just keep on boldly travelling and help spread awareness.

#3156 Reply
    Alcimary Pena Minaya

My advice would be to ask as many questions as possible. Talk to friends who have taken courses abroad and ask them what their experience was. The more information you can gather, the more prepared you will be for your future adventure.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: What advice do you have for African American students wanting to study abroad?
Your information: