Backpacks or rolling luggage?

Home Forums General Study Abroad Forum Backpacks or rolling luggage?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

When traveling, do you prefer backpacks or rolling luggage? Does it vary? Do you have a favorite brand?

photo credit: gorriti Geeking out my luggage via photopin (license)

#2648 Reply
    Asia Hester

For day traveling through the city, I prefer a backpack that has a couple necessities I need for the day. Rolling luggage it definitely better for long stays so it doesn’t weigh on your back. And I’m still looking for the perfect backpack brand. Damon and Jo on Youtube have a cool video on finding the perfect backpack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2pucE3T6N8

#2649 Reply
    Libby You

I think it depends on the type of trip. I’ve actually been thinking about this a lot recently as my friends and I are planning a trip where we won’t be staying in one place for too long. I think in that type of situation a backpack would be better as a rolling luggage would be too troublesome to move from place to place.

#2650 Reply
    Gabriel Pacana

Definitely backpacks. Rolling luggage is cumbersome and can be annoying if you are dragging them on specific surfaces. A backpack keeps my hands free and in opinion allows you to be mobile. And you can bring a backpack anywhere. One backpack is all you need for travel. This is good for practicing minimalism because there really isn’t a lot to bring when going on a trip. I feel like the only exception for carrying rolling luggage is if you have back and shoulder problems.

#2657 Reply

I tend to travel with a North Face backpack. I like the idea of always being a light packer. If I am going on a longer trip, I like to take ideas that can be worn multiple ways rather than taking less versatile clothing. On top of that, the North Face backpack I use has many different pockets making it easy to access what I need, when I need it. I have never been one to even think of traveling with rolling luggage, therefore I’d say backpacks are the way to go.

#2658 Reply
    Ebonie Ellison

The debate of whether to back pack or use rolling luggage is completely dependent upon you and your traveling plans while abroad. If you do not know where to start I’d keep it simple, make a list. If you make a list of pro’s and con’s starting with backpacks, the best part about carrying a backpack around is the easy mobility while allowing you to be hands free. You can use your gps, walk up and down stairs with no problem. Although the drawbacks lie in your ability to pack enough to sustain you on a long term trip. Think realistically about your plans if you are staying for more than a week luggage is the way to go. I’ve heard a lot of griping about the up’s and down’s of stairs but this is not the 1890’s; there are elevators and escalators now a days. I know that you guys can do this, plus I usually just throw my luggage down the stairs it saves on time. But seriously, you’ll be able to pack more and put larger bottles of shampoo and conditioner to save money on shopping abroad. With the extra space you can buy more to bring back home. At the end of the day If you are going to make it appear to your family as though you might be doing some studying while “studying abroad” you should think about bringing both. Drop your luggage in your room and grab your backpack for every possible adventure you can think of. Allowing you to be hands free when it matters.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Backpacks or rolling luggage?
Your information: