Do you ever avoid looking like a tourist when traveling abroad?

Home Forums General Study Abroad Forum Do you ever avoid looking like a tourist when traveling abroad?

• This topic has 5 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years ago by Ebonie Ellison.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Asia Hester

We all know some of the American stereotypes abroad, what are some you try to avoid doing or you think are not true?

#2778 Reply
    Gabriel Pacana

Of course. To me its more important to not act like a tourist. My clothing style is rather modest and I avoid advertising the Stars and Stripes. As long as I don’t walk around with a map on my face, looking around with a confuse look on my face. Just avoid looking lost. Consult your smartphone, go to a nearby visitor’s center, or walk aimlessly until you find something interesting.

#2779 Reply
    Sasha Simonson

If I can blend in, I will. However, there have been plenty of times where there is no avoiding looking like a tourist. When you’re traveling there are touristy things you want to do, so how do you go about not looking like a tourist while hanging out at the Eiffel Tower, for example, with your camera out? Of course, I’d say follow as many measures to avoid it as you can, as in not being overly obvious about it for safety reasons.

#2803 Reply
    Marie Terrier

Even if I don’t want to look like a tourist, I know that it is way too complicated. When you have your backpack, sneakers, your phone or camera to take pictures it is very difficult to look like someone who lived here his or her entire life. If you don’t want to look like the tourist who has a negative connotation, you can at least try to look like a traveler: respect the traditions, the people, and the city. As a French I can see American tourists from far away: they speak loudly in english, and wear “touristic clothes” that I mentioned above. But everybody is like that when travelling. Even if you try at all costs to not look like a tourist, your phone or camera will give you away. I also don’t think that it is a bad thing, because locals are in general proud that people visit their country if you respect its traditions.

#2804 Reply
    Libby You

I try as much as possible to not look like a tourist. In crowded places, such as subways, I even find myself trying not to speak English or speak it very quietly. Especially as some people think American tourists are a bit loud and disruptive.

#2827 Reply
    Ebonie Ellison

I am not sure I can hide looking like a tourist. The fun of the adventure I think is that I have never been there. This may go back to our discussion on the difference between a traveler and a tourist. I view a tourist wearing flip flops, flowered shirts and tourist memorabilia wrapped around their necks. So if I went anywhere I would ditch the cliché, clothes and guided tours. But I cannot leave the house without a camera or sunscreen. To me there are certain things you cannot avoid and should not try to. You may miss something amazing trying to be exclusive. So when in doubt I look to my gut to lead the way it gets me through almost every weird situation.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Do you ever avoid looking like a tourist when traveling abroad?
Your information: