Do you prefer to travel alone or with someone else?

Home Forums General Study Abroad Forum Do you prefer to travel alone or with someone else?

• This topic has 10 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years ago by Michael Wong.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Sarah Derrick

For me, this question is a bit tricky to answer. When I am en route to a destination I prefer to be alone – I can do work for school, for some of the media companies I write/edit for, I can finally read that book I have been dying to read or I can take the beauty of the journey in peace and quite. I am introvert so I always prefer time alone like this. However, when I think of arriving at my desired destination, I always try to either meet up with friends who live there or make friends. I love sharing my experiences with other people. It makes traveling a whole new world of fun, especially if I have friends who are local and who can show me around.

#2819 Reply
    Evan Albrethsen

I don’t believe that I have ever traveled alone. Everywhere I’ve traveled has always involved the company of someone else. For example, when I go to Mexico I usually go with my family. When I was in Japan for two years, I always had somebody with me. When I went back to Japan to visit, my mom came with me. Since I have never traveled alone, it is hard for me to say which I prefer. That being said, traveling with somebody has a lot of benefits. You will always have somebody who will understand you. I think I would just get frustrated if I was alone. There are people who can share experiences with you. That to me is the best part of traveling with others.

#2828 Reply
    Sasha Simonson

I am a big fan of solo travel. I have traveled with a small group of friends, with a class of 15, and more recently, I experienced traveling alone. I think there are pros and cons to traveling with people and on your own, but one aspect of solo travel that I really value is calling the shots yourself. You get up when you want and see what you want. Not to mention, my favorite part is the sense of independence and self-accomplishment you feel from traveling alone.

#2836 Reply
    Marie Terrier

I prefer travelling with someone else. One of the reasons is that before studying abroad I never travelled, I was therefore not used to all the demanding things travelling require. Also, when I want to go to a place in which I don’t speak the language, having a friend speaking the language is useful (especially when it is a common language such as Spanish). But there are a lot of other advantages to travelling with someone: you don’t feel lonely, you have more fun, if problems arise it is always reassuring to have someone with you. Of course, there are always some drawbacks, for example if you both want to do different things. But in that case you try to find a solution like split and take a moment for yourselves. When you are with someone, you have to compromise to avoid spoiling your trip. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to travel alone, I definitely prefer going with some friends even if the organization is more complicated!

#2837 Reply
    Marta

Honestly for this question I have a clear answer because I have never travel alone, so the answer is I prefer travel with someone else, also because every time i got the opportunity to travel solo, I got scare of doing it. But I got scare of doing so, because what I love about traveling is the memories I make with the people I travel with, but I think that if you travel alone, the experience of knowing new people, and creating those memories with those new connections must be amazing and I hope one that I feel prepare to do so.

#2839 Reply
    Libby You

I think both have their merits, but in the end I think I prefer to travel with others. It’s nice to share an experience you can reminisce about with others. Also, while traveling, you’re bound to get lost, or in some uncomfortable situation, and it’s nice to have someone else there for reassurance. Plus, depending on the country, I still feel a bit awkward doing things alone, like going out to eat, so another person would be nice.

#2846 Reply
    Asia Hester

I’ve always traveled with family, but I wouldn’t mind traveling alone because not everyone wants to visit the countries you want to visit and may have a different traveling style than you. So I think it’s beneficial to travel alone, but it could be more fun with a partner or a good friend for the memories. There was this one guy, who hitched hiked all through South America, his blog is called “Hitch Hike the World” and when he started he was alone majority of the time and met a lot of cool people along the way. So if you are worried about being alone most of the time you’ll run into generous and friendly people/

#2847 Reply
    Anna Redington

I think that this question is very situational. While it is quite liberating to be strolling through the airport on your own, boarding pass in hand, it is also unnerving to step off a flight in an unknown land. Both have pros and cons, but I think that traveling with at least one other companion is a really fulfilling experience. You get to see all of these places and witness different cultures or ways of life, and being able to share that with someone else firsthand instead of sending them a picture over the Internet forges really strong bonds between people.

#2854 Reply
    Gabriel

I prefer to travel alone because I’m allowed to explore on my own accord. Traveling alone allows you to get to know yourself – your strengths, weaknesses, and how you react to new experiences (good or bad). Its a challenge, but the end is rewarding.

#2869 Reply
    Ebonie Ellison

A poem

I have always traveled with others,
    as a pair,
    in groups,
    all over the country but I have never traveled alone.
    I think I might enjoy the experience
    now as a woman rather than a girl.
    When I was 19 I used to be afraid, that was the only difference
    between me and the girl that I used to be. I
    Am not devoid of fear, on the contrary
    I am filled with more fears than before
    But I think that merely comes with age
    A growing fear. But age has brought resilience
    And I refuse to let that fear stop me
    I am 24 and I think I might quite enjoy traveling alone.

#2888 Reply
    Michael Wong

Travelling alone is nice, but I prefer going with someone else. They say two heads are better than one, and I would feel a lot safer with a partner in crime than without. No matter where you are, danger or unexpected emergencies are always lurking around the corner, and it’s always nice to have someone to back you up.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: Do you prefer to travel alone or with someone else?
Your information: