How do you deal with the language barrier while traveling?

Home Forums General Study Abroad Forum How do you deal with the language barrier while traveling?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Evan Albrethsen

With the technology we have now, there are a lot of ways around this. There are different applications like Duolingo, Babble, Memrise, etc…. You can also pick a up a phrase book of the country’s language so that you can get those key survival phrases. If all else fails, you can always ask if somebody speaks English! It seems like most of the world has some form of education where English is a requirement, so don’t be afraid to ask that question.

#3786 Reply
    Holly Silvestri

I love to use gestures and google images on my phone for languages that I don’t speak. Often this accompanied by a smile and a basic repertoire of please and thank you goes a long way!

#3803 Reply
    Sasha

I like to prepare myself as much as possible before going. This means picking up a dictionary, downloading apps, and teaching myself as many phrases as possible. While abroad, I do my best with the basic knowledge I have and make do with hand gestures.

#3861 Reply
    Libby You

It always helps to learn a few basics words and phrases before you go. That coupled with all the amazing technology we have today and/or body language, you should be able to convey your message across easily.

#3876 Reply
    Cleo Barker

A language barrier might seem discouraging, but most people will appreciate any effort on your part to speak their native language. Before leaving, try to learn at least a few simple but useful phrases for basic communication. Many bookstores sell pocket-size dictionaries or phrase books, and there are plenty of mobile apps for learning languages that you can use to prepare for a trip. Gestures can also be quite useful if you forget a phrase or don’t know a certain word.

#3910 Reply
    Alcimary Pena Minaya

The best thing is to try. People understand that you are a tourist (in a sense) and that you don’t know their language. There are so many applications nowadays that translate anything, either written or verbal. Don’t be afraid to make gestures, show pictures and use translating applcations

#3974 Reply
    Karina Thadani

Learning some basic words in the language could be helpful; part of visiting another country is figuring out how to navigate the language barrier, so don’t be afraid to resort to hand gestures!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: How do you deal with the language barrier while traveling?
Your information: