How Do You Decide Which Country to Study Abroad In?

Home Forums General Study Abroad Forum How Do You Decide Which Country to Study Abroad In?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

When you decided to spend time abroad whether to study or just for adventure, how did you pick the destination?

photo credit: Justin.li Around the world via photopin (license)

#3030 Reply
    Holly Silvestri

When I studied abroad, the decision-making process was narrowed for me by the parameters of the programs I was in. However, when I decided to go abroad myself, I chose my destination based on languages spoken and the adventure factor. I wanted the security of being able to speak the tongue, but also the newness of an unknown place.It worked out so well, that I stayed for a few months!

#3031 Reply
    Alcimary Pena Minaya

When deciding to study abroad, the most important thing to keep in mind is your interest. Although you will be going to study, you will also be exploring this new place, learning about its people, food, and scenery. It’s extremely important to choose a place that peaks your interest that way the whole trip will be one amazing experience.

#3032 Reply
    Marie Terrier

For my year abroad, I had many options and I could have gone anywhere I wanted, from China to Argentina. However, I chose to go to the US for many reasons. One is that I wanted to go in an English speaking country. Also, I always have been interested in the US (culture, politics, history), and actually, the choice was very easy for me to do because of that. To chose your destination, go where your feelings are the most attracted to. Sometimes you can’t explain it but you love a country or a language and absolutely want to go there. Sometimes, the choice is more complicated and you have many countries you want to go to. In that case, just think about the fact that you are going to be far from your family and friends for a long period of time. If it is something that you think will be hard, don’t go too far away so you can go back home regularly. Also, think about the language you want to learn, and if you don’t want to learn one just go to a country that speaks your language. Another way to think about your year abroad is to look at countries or places you want to visit. Indeed, during a year abroad you will travel a lot, therefore, you can choose a country that will allow you to visit neighboring countries and cities that you like. Finally, you can also use the “university parameter” by looking at the universities you can go to and choose the one that interests you the most.

#3048 Reply
    Evan Albrethsen

As a language enthusiast, the countries that speak the my target languages are where I would want go. Immersion is one of the greatest ways to speak learn a language. Besides that though, money is another big factor. Finally, food is a huge reason. I love food. If there is a lot of amazing food there, then I will do my best to get myself there.

#3055 Reply
    Gabriel Pacana

To decide you must consider costs and the kind of environment you want to live in. There are popular cities where everyone wants to get an experience out of, but lean to the more costlier side. Luckily there are cheaper places, which I cover in an article I wrote for Voy. Environment, too. Do you want to live in a warm country, cold country, or a place that is more temperate.

#3056 Reply
    Sasha

When I decided to study abroad, each program I participated in was a requirement for my overall degree track. As a Spanish student, I only had so many options based off of the programs my school offered in Spanish speaking countries.

#3057 Reply
    Cleo Barker

The decision to study abroad in Spain was the result of both interest and convenience. I already knew some of the language, and wanted to build on my skills while engaging in the cultural aspects firsthand. The particular program I was in had special arrangements for a course I needed to take that semester for my honors program, as well as courses that would transfer directly for credit toward a Spanish minor. So the program was ideal academically and in terms of my cultural interests, both of which are important factors to consider in choosing a study abroad location. I had also done a little research and realized that living in one European country would make it easier to travel to others within the continent. During the semester I made my first solo trip abroad to Dublin, which allowed me to navigate the challenges of solo travel while still communicating in English. I was able to gain experience and knowledge without having to worry about a language barrier, and this step helped prepare me for the next solo trip to a different country.

#3060 Reply
    Libby You

When I studied abroad my interests and degree requirements helped me decide where to study abroad. Because one of my majors is Korean, I knew from the very beginning that I was going to study abroad in Korea to give me Korean credit and to better my language ability.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: How Do You Decide Which Country to Study Abroad In?
Your information: