Love while studying abroad

Home Forums General Study Abroad Forum Love while studying abroad

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ebonie Ellison

Romance while studying abroad, is it possible to meet someone in a foreign country and never come back? does it even happen ? Did it happen to you ?

#2711 Reply
    Asia Hester

I’m not an expert on this topic haha. From movies, it seems it’s possible and in real life, you can obtain a partner visa in order to stay in the country if it’s serious enough. According to one my friends, there’s a lot more flirting.

#2712 Reply
    Asia Hester

*A lot more flirting than they normally received in the States

#2713 Reply
    Gabriel

I’ve never experienced it myself, but I could imagine the experience would be no different than making a friend abroad. Only this time, romance is involved. Definitely a good way to learn etiquette of other countries.

#2728 Reply
    Libby You

While I was studying abroad, relationships and romance was a big topic between my friends and I, especially as we started seeing people around us pair off. Although the fantasy of a romance abroad is nice, we concluded that we’d rather spend the short time we had exploring the country than dating. However, I do know that some students decided to stay an extra semester because they started dating and one or two couples are making long distance work.

#2729 Reply
    Ebonie Ellison

Shakespeare wrote, a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet, a sweet thought about love essentially arguing that a name is just that, a name. Love, whether said in any different language still means the same thing to us all. Love is possible anywhere and transcends all things moving through years, crossing oceans, why couldn’t it transcend language barriers too. So love is definitely possible the question is should you be concerned with it until it happens? The answer is no, for a few reasons. First being there are a few movies that give you this impression that somewhere in Paris your soul mate is waiting for you. It turns out you are not the only American to think that, it was probably done purposely for tourism and promotion purposes. Thousands of students visit these key cities every year and many with the same illusions of what love abroad should look like. There are some who look to take advantage of starry eyed youth looking for love. Which is why love is best left on the shelf, at least until you get your bearings for your new surroundings. Love is just love and there is no look to it, and most of the time the rare kind of love we hope to find cannot be procured over a matter of months. If what you want is love stop going to the bar. Join a study group, go to a library, visit every museum. Fill your days with new and exciting things and lots of studying. If and when love abroad hits you, focusing on yourself is more intoxicating than being completely enamored with someone else. What I mean by waiting to be concerned about love until it happens is, that going to Rome with the hidden intent of finding a new Italian boyfriend or girlfriend is never a winning path. You’re in Rome be in Rome.

#2734 Reply

I am sure having a fling in another country is fun, but I am not sure about the longevity of finding romance in another country. However, I am sure that if someone swept me off my feet I’d consider staying.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Love while studying abroad
Your information: