What advice do you have for young women traveling alone while studying abroad?

Home Forums General Study Abroad Forum What advice do you have for young women traveling alone while studying abroad?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Holly Silvestri

My advice is to do as the Romans do. In other words, look around you and do as the women in the country you are in are doing (to the extent possible). That is a good way to stay safe and also to experience a true cultural immersion.

#3483 Reply
    Sasha

My advice is to be wary of your surroundings, and the country’s attitude towards women. As a solo female traveler myself, I have always been very cautious while maneuvering throughout a new city by myself. I think the key is to blend in as much as possible and try not to look like a target.

#3487 Reply
    Cleo Barker

In much the same way as you would try not to look too much like a tourist when traveling, I would say to not call too much attention to yourself. Solo travel is a great way to see the world and learn about different places, you just have to keep in mind that no one else is there to look out for you. Do some research on the roles of women in the country you are visiting, be especially careful at nighttime, and just be aware of your surroundings in general. As long as you put safety first you will be prepared to make the most of solo travel.

#3488 Reply
    Evan Albrethsen

I would say that the most important thing a woman could do when traveling on their own is be aware of how the culture treats women. Although any type of disrespect isn’t good, just know that it isn’t necessarily because the people are mean. It could be that culture taught them that. Always make sure to stay in safe places. Research places to go and avoid those that give red flags.

#3489 Reply
    Libby You

First and foremost, just remain aware of your surroundings and try to keep yourself out of potentially dangerous situations and places. I also think you should research where you’re travelling and be aware of how women are treated, any cultural customs concerning women, and any particular situations you may face. Also, if you really want to go somewhere or do something but are afraid to go alone, I suggest looking up meet-ups, groups, or tours. I often did this while I studied abroad and the whole time I felt safe while I got to meet new people and see and learn about the country around me.

#3529 Reply
    Alcimary.pena@gmail.com

Gather as much information as possible, especially from other young females that have travelled alone. What is the overall culture of the place you are visiting?

#3577 Reply
    Karina Thadani

I would recommend doing some preliminary research on the country and its general attitude towards women. I would also take extra steps regarding safety. I would try not to go anywhere alone at night, and I would stay in places with large crowds.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: What advice do you have for young women traveling alone while studying abroad?
Your information: