What is the best travel advice you've received?

Home Forums General Study Abroad Forum What is the best travel advice you've received?

• This topic has 6 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 7 years ago by Ebonie Ellison.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Libby You

Traveling can be a bit difficult sometimes, but sometimes we receive little gems of wisdom that makes it better. For example, my dad told me that when travelling, split your cash up into three places, in case something were to happen you will always still have money. What travel advice have you received that should be shared with all travelers?

#2760 Reply
    Marie Terrier

The best advice I ever received comes from my best friend who also spent 6 months abroad in a country she didn’t speak the language. When she came back and that it was my turn to leave and go to the US, she told me to not be afraid or ashamed to speak english even though I was far from fluent. We learn from our mistakes, and people are often really happy to help us. It is the best way to make progress and learn the language. Sometimes, it can even lead to funny stories to tell when you come back to your country. So don’t be ashamed of your poor vocabulary or of your accent, it is actually a good way to start a conversation and it eventually gets better with time!

#2766 Reply
    Sasha Simonson

The best travel advice I received was from a college professor who told me to “avoid tourist traps and go local.” Tourist traps are catered to exactly that: tourists. While tourist locations can be fun to visit, going to local spots allows you to experience the country as it truly is and not as it is designed for tourists. I thoroughly appreciated every experience I had when I genuinely got to know the country’s culture and its people. I was never disappointed by following this advice.

#2774 Reply
    Gabriel Pacana

The best travel advice I received was probably from Anthony Bourdain and Andrew Zimmern. Bourdain always consults locals who know the best (and lesser-known) places to dine. And on Zimmern’s show, Bizarre Foods, he often says his famous catchphrase at the end of each episode, “If it looks good eat it.” This is a useful advice because it encourages travelers to throw caution to the wind or leave their comfort zone. In order words, to try things that they aren’t familiar with.

#2775 Reply
    Sarah Derrick

The best travel advice I received was to not make a plan outside of where you were going to stay when traveling. Show up find what the locals do and indulge in the culture.

#2776 Reply
    Asia Hester

Depending on where you going and for how long, try not to pack a lot of clothes.

#2794 Reply
    Ebonie Ellison

I have to say that I have never really received great travel advice. I am sure I have heard the normal ones, do not put this in that, leave that at home. But I would not call that the best advice, those are things that can be learned through trial and error. Albeit no one wants to lose out on shampoo because they made the mistake of putting an extra large bottle in their carry on. But you lived, you learned and hopefully you never do it again. John Steinbeck wrote, “a journey is like a marriage, the certain way to be wrong is to think that you control it.” If I want to embark on an adventure I suppose the first step in departing is coming to terms with the fact that a million things could go wrong. We have absolutely no idea where the day may lead and that is ok. Just the fact that we are on the road ready to take on the unknown is exhilarating and inspiring. Do not let the frustrations of a moment gone wrong (shampoo loss, language barriers etc,) bring you down and cause you to internalize and analyze its meaning. Go forth unafraid of making mistakes, of disappointing anyone including yourself. The world dishes out disappointment and heartache like Mcdonalds sells fries. Its around us, all the time but we do have a choice, being that, we can focus on the negative or we can let it all go. Setting forth on a remarkable journey that you do not control.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: What is the best travel advice you've received?
Your information: