What is the difference between being a tourist and a traveler?

Home Forums General Study Abroad Forum What is the difference between being a tourist and a traveler?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

In your opinion, is there a difference between a tourist and a traveler? If so, what?

photo credit: neonzu1 20170205KAO-IMG_4029 via photopin (license)

#2590 Reply
    Gabriel Pacana

A tourist and a traveler end up at a nude beach somewhere in Europe. The tourist takes his/her camera and snaps a photo of the “nude beach” sign. The traveler strips down and walks toward the water.

#2592 Reply
    Asia Hester

I like to think of a tourist as someone who only wants to do traditional tourists things while not really experiencing the country. A traveler absorbs the culture and takes the off-beaten path, and is ready for the unexpected.You don’t have one or the other, but balance is key to a good experience. ^^^ Also I agree with Gabriel.

#2598 Reply
    Ebonie Ellison

The difference between a tourist and a traveler is in the choice to take to the road. A traveler looks out to the road, ending unknown and although they are stuck by fear they are not arrested by it; they are brave.The tourist, the day tripper, the sightseer are linked to the world they left behind and all the fears that come with reality. They are in search of a vacation.While the traveler, the adventurer, the wanderer’s journey seems to be filled with spirituality, mysticism and opportunity. A tourist is always in danger of being tempted by the wanderlust that lies within us all. They are one experience away from becoming a traveler. He or she need only listen to the quiet whispers and choose to let go.

#2605 Reply
    Libby You

I think the perfect example to show the difference between a tourist and a traveler is when deciding where to eat. Tourist seem like they would be more willing to just settle on whichever restaurant that might be close by, or these tourist trap restaurants. A traveler, on the other hand, wants to go into the back alley where the locals eat and find a more authentic taste.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: What is the difference between being a tourist and a traveler?
Your information: